Total Citations: 1800, H-index: 19 (as of January 02, 2019 from Google Scholar)
- A. T. Wassie (co-first), Y. Zhao (co-first), E.S. Boyden*, ‘Expansion microscopy: principles and uses in biological research‘, Nature Methods 2019, 16, p. 33–41
- O. Bucur*, Y. Zhao*, ‘Nanoscale Imaging of Kidney Glomeruli Using Expansion Pathology.‘ Frontiers in Medicine, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmed.2018.00322
Prior to 2018
- Y. Zhao (equal contribution), O. Bucur (equal contribution), H. Irshad, F. Chen, A. Weins, A. L. Stancu, E-Y. Oh, M. DiStasio, V. Torous, B. Glass, I. E. Stillman, S. J. Schnitt, A. H. Beck*, E. S. Boyden*, ‘Nanoscale imaging of clinical specimens using pathology-optimized expansion microscopy.’ Nature Biotechnology, 2017, 35 (8), 757–764. [See also MIT News and BIDMC News]
- P. W. Tillberg, F. Chen, K.D. Piatkevich, Y. Zhao, C.-C. Yu, B. P. English, L. Gao, A. Martorell, H.-J. Suk, F. Yoshida, E. M. DeGennaro, D. H.Roossien, G.. Gong, U. Seneviratne, S. R. Tannenbaum, R. Desimone, D. Cai, E. S. Boyden*, ‘Protein-retention expansion microscopy of cells and tissues labeled using standard fluorescent proteins and antibodies’, Nature Biotechnology, 2016, 34 (9), 987–992. [Cover article in September 2016 issue of Nature Biotechnology (volume 34, No. 9).]
- L. Tang, Y. Wang, W. Liu, Y. Zhao, R. E. Campbell, and C. Fang, ‘Illuminating Photochemistry of an Excitation Ratiometric Fluorescent Protein Calcium Biosensor’, The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2017, 121 (14), 3016–3023
- A. S. Abdelfattah, S. L. Farhi (equal contribution), Y. Zhao (equal contribution), D. Brinks, P. Zou, A. Ruangkittisaku, J. Platisa,V. A. Pieribone, K. Ballanyi, A. E. Cohen, and R. E. Campbell* , ‘A bright and fast red fluorescent protein voltage indicator that reports neuronal activity in organotypic brain slices’, The Journal of Neuroscience, 2016 , 36 (8): 2458-2472
- F. Hatahet, J. L Blazyk, E. Martineau, E. Mandela, Y. Zhao, R. E Campbell, J. Beckwith, D. Boyd*, ‘Altered Escherichia coli membrane protein assembly machinery allows proper membrane assembly of eukaryotic protein vitamin K epoxide reductase’, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2015, 112 (49): 15184-15189
- L. Tang, W. Liu, Y. Wang, Y. Zhao, B. G. Oscar, R. E. Campbell, C. Fang*, ‘Unraveling ultrafast photoinduced proton transfer dynamics in a fluorescent protein biosensor for Ca2+ imaging’, Chemistry-A European Journal, 2015, 21 (17), 6481-6490
- T. Albrecht (equal contribution), Y. Zhao (equal contribution), T. Nguyen, R. E. Campbell* and J. D. Johnson*, ‘Fluorescent biosensors illuminate calcium levels within defined beta-cell endosome subpopulations’, Cell Calcium, 2015, 57 (4), 263-274
- Y. Wang , L. Tang , W. Liu , Y. Zhao , B. G. Oscar , R. E. Campbell, and C. Fang*, ‘Excited State Structural Events of a Dual-Emission Fluorescent Protein Biosensor for Ca2+ Imaging Studied by Femtosecond Stimulated Raman Spectroscopy’, The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2015, 119 (6), 2204–2218.
- D. R. Hochbaum (equal contribution), Y. Zhao (equal contribution), S. L. Farhi, N. Klapoetke, C. A. Werley, V. Kapoor, P. Zou, J. M. Krajl, D. Maclaurin, N. Smedemark-Margulies, J. Saulnier, G. L. Bouting, Y. Cho, M. Melkonian, G. K. Wong, D. J. Harrison, V. Murthy, B. Sabatini, E. S. Boyden (equal contribution), R. E. Campbell (equal contribution; *correspondence related to directed evolution), A. E. Cohen*, ‘All-optical electrophysiology in mammalian neurons using engineered microbial rhodopsins’, Nature Methods, 2014, 11, 825–833.
- P. Zou (equal contribution), Y. Zhao (equal contribution), A. Douglass, D. R. Hochbaum, R. E. Campbell (*correspondence related to directed evolution), A. E. Cohen*, ‘Bright and fast voltage reporters across the visible spectrum via electrochromic FRET (eFRET)’, Nature Communication, 5, Article number: 4625. [Highlighted by Nature Methods 2014, 11, 992]
- B. G. Oscar, W. Liu, Y. Zhao, L. Tang, Y. Wang, R. E. Campbell, and C. Fang, ‘Excited state structural dynamics of a dual-emission calmodulin-green fluorescent protein sensor for calcium ion imaging’, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2014, 111(28) 10191–10196.
- Y. Zhao, A. S. Abdelfattah, A. Ruangkittisakul, K. Ballanyi, R. E. Campbell* and D. J. Harrison*, ‘Microfluidic cell sorter-aided directed evolution of a protein-based calcium ion indicator with an inverted fluorescent response’, Integrative Biology, 2014, 6, 714-725
- A.S. Abdelfattah, J. Platisa, Y. Zhao, V.A. Pieribone, R.E. Campbell, ‘Development of a Red Genetically-Encoded Voltage Indicator and its use with Channelrhodopsin for All-Optical Electrophysiology’, Biophysical Journal, 2014, 106 (2), 629a-630a
- Y. Zhao, D. Hochbaum, D.J. Harrison, A.E. Cohen, R.E. Campbell, ‘A Comprehensive Live Cell Screening Approach for Developing Improved Microbial Rhodopsin-Based Voltage Biosensors’, Biophysical Journal, 2014, 106 (2), 415a
- Y. Zhao, H. Hoi, R. E. Campbell and D. J. Harrison*, ‘Microfluidic cell sorter aided directed evolution of an improved fluorescent protein-based calcium ion indicator’, Proceeding of the 17th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences, 2013, 1006-1008.
- Zhao, H. Hoi, R. E. Campbell and D. J. Harrison, ‘Microfluidic cell sorter aided live cell screening for improved fluorescent protein’, Proceeding of the 16th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences, 2012, 1120-1122.
- J. Wu, L. Liu, T. Matsuda, Y. Zhao, A. Rebane, M. Drobizhev, Y. Chang, S. Araki, Y. Arai, K. March, T. Hughes, K. Sagou, T. Miyata, T. Nagai, W. Li, and R. E. Campbell, ‘Improved Orange and Red Ca2+ Indicators and Photophysical Considerations for Optogenetic Applications’, ACS Chemical Neuroscience, 2013, 4 (6), 963-972
- C. Alford, J. Wu, Y. Zhao, R. E. Campbell, and T. Knöpfel, “Optogenetic Reporters”. Biology of the Cell, 2012, 105, 14–29
- P. Tewson, M. Westenberg, Y. Zhao, R. E. Campbell, A. M. Quinn, T. E. Hughes, “Simultaneous detection of Ca2+ and diacylglycerol signaling in living cells”. PLoS ONE, 2012, 7(8): e42791
- Y. Zhao, S. Araki, J. Wu, T. Teramoto, Y-F. Chang, M. Nakano, A. S. Abdelfattah, M. Fujiwara, T. Ishihara, T. Nagai, and R. E. Campbell, “An Expanded Palette of Genetically Encoded Ca2+ Indicators”. Science, 2011, 333, 1888-1891. [Highlighted by Science Express, also highlighted in the Science & Technology Concentrates section of Chemical & Engineering News. This paper has been selected in “2011: Signaling Breakthroughs of the Year”, Science Signaling, 3 January 2012: eg1.]
- L. Zhuang, W. Zhang, Y. Zhao, H. Shen, H. Lin and J. Liang, “Preparation and Characterization of Fe3O4 Particles with Novel Nanosheets Morphology and Magnetochromatic Property by a Modified Solvothermal Method”, Scientific Reports, 2015, 5, Article number: 9320
- L. Zhuang, W. Zhang, Y. Zhao, L. Da, W. Wu and H. Shen, ‘Temperature sensitive ferrofluid composed of Mn1-xZnxFe2O4 nanoparticles prepared by a modified hydrothermal process’, Powder technology 2012, 217, 46-49
- L. Zhuang, J. Liang, H. Shen and Y. Zhao, ‘Research progress in Colloidal Magnetic Photonic Crystal’, Material Review, 2011, 25, 70-74
- Y. Zhao, L. Zhuang, H. Shen, W. Zhang and Z. Shao, ‘Study of Polydiethyl Siloxane Based Ferrofluid with Excellent Frost Resistance Property’, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 2009, 321, 377-381
- Y. Zhao, R. E. Campbell, “Fluorescent Proteins for Neuronal Imaging”, New Techniques in Systems Neuroscience, 57-96